So here I am again, reviewing what I've painted across this last year and seeing how close I came to my hobby goals.
2021 was another weird year. The pandemic has hung about like a bad smell but finding a job in which I work from home meant the lockdowns didn't effect me. Back in 2020 however, those lockdowns gave me plenty of time to paint minis.
The hobby goals from last year.
Well I finished the Blade Guard and continued some work with my collection of Mordheim terrain. However I didn't paint any more McFarlane scale Space Marines or add any Imperial Knights to the 80s Ad Mech. I also didn't get a second display cabinet or reach my Instagram follower goal. Just can't work out how to beat the algorithm. With that said, we're converting a home office in 2022, so maybe there'll be space for extra display solutions.
So what did I get done in 2021...
The first month of the year saw me complete the one and only (so far) McFarlane scale Space Marine, converted to be a member of my homebrew chapter, the Chevaliers.
It was an interesting build. Doing something similar but in a much larger scale does wonders for your painting and hobby enthusiasm. I think it's the challenge to reuse parts to fit a different purpose. Like the Bretonnian Pegasus head for this Space Marine's helmet mascot. This is partly the reason the other two marines have not yet been started. I have not found anything suitable I could use for another headdress.
You can read more about this project here.
During January I also finished 3 models for my Mordheim collection. The first is a bitz box build after one of my Possessed henchmen got promoted to hero status (They're Slaaneshi themed if you couldn't tell), the second is my limited run Heresy Lab Luther figure and the third is a powder monkey.
Being a member of the Mordheim Facebook group has it's perks. One of which is a heads up on the new and or limited releases from Heresy Lab's Mordheim model range. Better known as the Citizens of the Old World. Heresy Lab have been working with the original creators of the game to breathe new life into the models available for probably the best skirmish game out there.
The first Luther figure came with 3 different head and weapon load-outs. In the end I couldn't decide between them. So I picked all 3. Each head and weapon option has been painted and magnetised to the body. Allowing me to swap between his equipment depending on the narrative of the campaign.
Lastly in Jan, I completed the first HQ choice for the 80s Ad Mech. These are just a fun army I started in 2020 after a lucky [cheap] ebay find. I would like to add more to the army and currently have the parts to start building a grav tank for them on an 80s Lambo chassis.
To look beyond the simple painting aspect of the Hobby, during January I started uploading to my YouTube Channel again after a 6 month break. Starting with a video on Vallejo's florescent paints, a video which saw heavy criticism on my pronunciation of the word Vallejo. Sorry internet, I still say it that way. A J is a jay and a H is a aitch...
During the second month of the year I added a Rhino tank to my Thousand Sons army. This was the 3rd one for the collection. I remember when I first started this army I wanted to include every little 3rd party conversion part made for the Thousand Sons. This was fine at first but with the widespread use of 3D print files and digital sculpting, there is now a lot of choice. So much so it's hard to collect everything available for a Thousand Sons player. However I added a set of Rhino parts from tabletop-art.de
I also started conversion work on some Primaris Marines and my Green Knight diorama during Feb. More on that later.
In March I added more Marines to my homebrew Chapter, the Chevaliers. Specifically my version of the Mario Kart ATV, just going back to the Attack Bike roots.
These models are available from Dark Age Design, a digital sculptor who's been working on a lot of alternative vehicles for the new Primaris range but still keeping them lore friendly. If you don't want your Space Marines whizzing about the battlefield, chucking blue shells at Tyranids, I would definitely check out his Facebook page.
April saw more work on the Green Knight diorama and the addition of my Blade Guard, Grail Themed. I also painted a plant pot to look like a Minecraft dirt block and started playing Magic the Gathering again.
I'm still looking to add a Blade Guard Ancient to the unit but haven't found the Bretonnian Grail banner yet, well not one I was willing to pay over the odds for.
Month 5 saw me finish the rather lengthy diorama project I had been working on. Finally the Chevaliers had a Green Knight to lead them into battle.
The aim of this project was to recreate an old piece of artwork featuring the Green Knight within the 40k universe.
The base and tree was made from scratch, the Beastmen from the Blackstone Fortress boxset, the biker a converted Outrider and the fearful guardsman was mostly bitz box finds and green stuff.
I'm pretty happy with the end result and like a lot of these things, the conversion was the fun part. By the time the painting stage came round, I was impatient to have it all done.
In June I started work on the next model for my Primaris army but I only ended up finishing a full unit of nostalgia. If you've read my homepage (as of writing this), my first models, as a 10 year old, was a collection of broken 2nd ed Chaos Warriors.
Some 24 years later and a lucky unpainted ebay find, I decided to park my current projects and go back to my roots. They might not be the best painted unit in the world but I really gave it my all to see how much I've picked up since I first started The Hobby.
The painstaking background replacement was my nod to those old White Dwarf mags and the 'Eavy Metal team of yester-year. Plus I still had one of those old green plastic movement trays.